Apricot and Sour Cream Flan
Canned apricots are buried beneath an unusual batter made with fruit juice and sour cream and topped with butter and sugar, to make a warming and substantial dessert.
Number of servings : 4-6
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
Butter for greasing
2 cans (each 14oz / 397ml) apricot
halves in natural juice
To serve: cream, light or heavy, as preferred
For the batter:
⅔ cup (150ml) sour cream
3⁄4 cup (100g) plain ﬂour
2 large eggs
1⁄2 cup (75g) soft light brown sugar
A few drops of natural vanilla extract
For the topping:
1 tablespoon (15g) butter
2 tablespoons soft light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and grease a shallow, ovenproof dish, 10–12in. (25–30cm) in diameter.
- Drain the canned apricots, reserving 1⁄2 cup (100ml) of the juice, and arrange them, cut sides down, in the bottom of the dish.
- To make the batter, stir the sour cream into the reserved apricot juice. Place the ﬂour in a separate bowl and make a well in the center. Add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract, quickly whisk into the ﬂour to make a smooth paste, then gradually whisk in the apricot juice and sour cream mixture.
- Pour the batter over the apricots and bake the ﬂan in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping by blending the butter and sugar together with a fork in a small bowl.
- Remove the ﬂan from the oven after 15 minutes and dot the butter and sugar mixture evenly over the top. Return it to the oven for the remaining 5 minutes, or until the batter is lightly golden on top and puffed up.
- Serve hot, with light or heavy cream.
Variation: Instead of the topping, sprinkle the ﬂan with confectioners’ sugar before serving. Alternatively, sprinkle it with brandy—an apricot-ﬂavored brandy would be particularly good.