“My Sicilian Aunt Paulina inspired this fluffy frittata. I remember visiting her garden, picking fresh veggies and watching her cook. Her wild asparagus frittata was my favourite.” —Cindy Esposito, Bloomfield, New Jersey
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package frozen asparagus spears thawed, 8 ounces
- 1 large onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, ricotta cheese, lemon juice, salt and pepper. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add asparagus, onion, red pepper and mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion and pepper are tender.
- Remove from heat; remove asparagus from skillet. Reserve eight spears; cut remaining asparagus into 2-in. pieces. Return cut asparagus to skillet; stir in egg mixture. Arrange reserved asparagus spears over eggs to resemble spokes of a wheel.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges.
1 wedge: 130 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fibre), 9g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.