Asparagus Soup with Lemon Creme Fraiche
“A fresh and easy asparagus soup, pureed until it’s smooth, is a definite winner. Serve it warm or chilled depending on the weather.” —Fern Vitense, Tipton, Iowa
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cups cut fresh asparagus 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium red potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cans vegetable broth 14-1/2 ounces each
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add asparagus and potatoes; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in broth, lemon zest and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Combine garnish ingredients; serve with soup.
1 cup: 155 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fibre), 4g protein.