Bacon-Cheese Puff Pie
This recipe comes from my grandma, and it’s one of my family’s favourites. We love the combination of bacon, tomatoes and cheese for brunch at any time of year.
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|6servings||20minutes + cooling||45minutes|
|6servings||20minutes + cooling|
- 1 pastry shell unbaked
- 1 lb sliced bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 large tomato peeled and sliced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs separated
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 minutes longer. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle bacon over the crust. Top with tomato and cheese. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, sour cream, flour and salt until smooth. In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into sour cream mixture; spread over cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350° until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
1 piece: 518 calories, 35g fat (17g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 901mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fibre), 19g protein.