Baked Lamb-Stuffed Zucchini
Baked lamb is great. In this tasty dish, minced lamb is mixed with all sorts of lovely flavorings, then baked inside zucchini.
Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
4 large zucchini, each about
1/2 pound 3⁄4 cup long-grain white rice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (optional)
12 ounces lean minced lamb
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried
1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulpy center with a teaspoon, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Roughly chop the pulp.
- Place the zucchini shells in a shallow baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until tender when pierced.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 12 to 15 minutes until just tender. Drain, allow to stand for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, egg, mint, if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Sauté the lamb over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more until the onion has softened. Stir in the tomato sauce, reserved zucchini pulp, and rosemary. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the rice mixture and mix well.
- Spoon the stuffing mixture into the zucchini shells and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and crispy on top. Serve immediately.