Baked Tofu Squares with Tomato Relish
This snack of tofu with a richly spiced tomato relish combines the benefits of soy protein with the cancer-fighting properties of tomato!
Photo: Anti-Ageing Diet Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Baked Tofu Squares
- 300 g silken firm tofu
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- to taste freshly ground pepper
- olive oil for brushing
- Tomato Relish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp mild paprika
- 350 g ripe tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander chopped
- cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 220C (425F/Gas 7) and line a baking tray with baking paper (baking sheet with parchment paper). Drain tofu on paper towel about 5 minutes to remove surface moisture.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato relish. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 3 minutes, until soft. Add ground coriander, cumin and paprika and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and any tomato juices, along with vinegar. Bring to a simmer, then cook uncovered, stirring frequently, 20 minutes, or until thick. Stir in chopped coriander. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cut tofu into 1 cm (1/2 inch) slices, then halve each slice crosswise. Combine flour and pepper on a plate and mix together. Toss tofu pieces in flour to coat lightly. Put on prepared tray and brush with olive oil. Bake in oven 25 minutes, or until pale golden on the edges.
- Serve pieces of warm tofu topped with a spoonful of tomato relish.
You can make the relish up to 2 days beforehand, then heat through just before serving. Bake the tofu close to serving time. Serve with a leafy green salad for a light meal.