Banana Cream Pie with Cake Mix Crust
“I added something special to the classic banana cream pie: A crunchy peanut-buttery streusel tops it off.” —Matthew Hass, Franklin, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 package yellow cake mix regular size, divided
- 1 large egg room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp butter softened and divided
- 1 cup 2% milk cold
- 1 package instant banana cream pudding mix (3.4 oz.)
- 1 medium banana sliced
- 1 carton frozen whipped topping (8 oz.), thawed and divided
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- additional sliced ripe banana
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. pie plate. Stir together 1-3/4 cups cake mix, egg and 1 tablespoon butter until combined. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until a smooth dough forms. Roll dough to fit prepared pie plate. Flute edge. Prick bottom several times with a fork. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool crust in pan on a wire rack.
- Whisk milk and pudding mix 2 minutes. Fold in banana and 1 cup whipped topping. Transfer to cooled crust. Top with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining cake mix, peanut butter and remaining butter until crumbly. Transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking pan. Bake until golden brown, 14-18 minutes, stirring once. Cool completely.
- Top pie with additional sliced banana and some of the crumb topping (save additional crumb topping for another use).
Test Kitchen Tips
- For a delicious treat, sprinkle the remaining topping over ice cream.
- When you're rolling out and fluting crust, work quickly so the dough doesn't get too soft and sticky.
- We love the addition of toasted coconut! Try stirring 1/2 cup into the filling and topping the pie with another 1/2 cup.
1 piece: 394 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fibre), 6g protein.