Barbecued Mushroom Pita Pizzas
Pitas make these individual pizzas a breeze to create for a nutritious light meal or snack.
Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres
Special diet :
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 large fresh Portabella Mushrooms caps
4 6-7” (15-17 cm) whole wheat pita breads
1/3 cup sun-dried tomato pesto (75 mL)
4 cups baby spinach or arugula leaves (2oz/60g) (1 L)
½ cup shaved Parmesan or Romano cheese (125 mL)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl whisk oil and garlic together, lightly brush the mushrooms on both sides with garlic oil.
- Barbecue mushrooms on high heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until mushrooms are slightly softened.
- Meanwhile place pitas on the barbecue over high heat and cook for 2 minutes on one side or until warmed through. Remove to a tray or cutting board and spread softer side with the tomato pesto.
- Top with spinach leaves, and then warm mushrooms, stem side up.
- Return to barbecue and cook for additional 2-3 minutes or until slightly crisp.
- Garnish with Parmesan shavings. Cut in halves or quarters and serve immediately. Add pepper to taste.
Variation: If mushrooms are too large for the pitas, thickly slice mushrooms on a cutting board and place on top of spinach.
• Thinner pitas will crisp better than thicker ones.
• To shave Parmesan easily use a vegetable peeler. Shaved Parmesan is most attractive but if substituting grated Parmesan use only ¼ cup (50 mL).