Bavarian Apple Cones
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts Special diet : Ingredients
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
2 apples, cored and coarsely chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) orange or lemon juice
1 cup (250 mL) heavy cream
½ cup (125 mL) vanilla sugar
2/3 cup (150 mL) all-purpose flour
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt
3 large eggs
½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
2 ½ cups (625 mL) granulated sugar
2 vanilla pods, cut into 2 or 3 piece
- Fill a glass jar with the sugar. Add the vanilla pods, seal tightly and set aside for 7-10 days. When you open the jar, the sugar will be flavoured with vanilla. As the pods have a long aromatic life, just add more sugar as needed. Makes 2 ½ cups (625 mL). Keeps up to six months.
- Apple Filling: Cook the apples with the juice in a medium saucepan over low heat for about 15 minutes, or until softened. Transfer to a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour. With mixer at high speed, beat the cream and vanilla sugar until stiff. Beat in the apple mixture.
- Cones: Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Draw four 4-inch squares on the paper.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and salt into a medium bowl. Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and thick. Mix in the dry ingredients and lemon zest.
- Drop 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the mixture onto each square on the prepared cookie sheet. Use a thin metal spatula to fill the 4-inch squares.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until lightly browned. Peel each square away from the parchment paper and use a thin metal spatula to lift the cookies. Twist the squares into cones, smooth-side inward, working quickly. Cool the cookies completely on racks.
- Fill the cones with the apple filling.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2979