Beef Chili With Beans
This hearty chili is sure to heat things up so it’s the perfect winter meal. Onions and garlic combine nicely with the chilis and kidney beans.
Number of servings : 6 to 8
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 ½ to 2 hours
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet : | Diabetes | High fibre
2 lbs (1 kg) stewing beef, cut into 1/2-in. (1-cm) chunks
1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
3 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp (25 mL) chili powder
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
1 28 oz (796 mL) can plum tomatoes, chopped or puréed with juices
1 cup (250 mL) beef stock or water
1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 mL) puréed canned chipotle chilis or to taste—optional
2 cups (500 mL) cooked red or white kidney beans (one 19 oz/540 mL can, drained and rinsed)
Toppings: sour cream or yogourt, grated smoked Cheddar, chopped fresh tomatoes, corn niblets, chopped fresh cilantro and chopped green onions.
- Toss beef with flour, salt and pepper. Place in a strainer and shake off any excess flour.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep skillet. Brown meat, in batches if necessary. Remove meat from pan and discard all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil. Add onions and garlic and cook gently about 5 minutes until fragrant and tender. Add chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook gently one minute.
- Add tomatoes, stock and chipotles. Bring to a boil. Add browned beef. Cover surface of meat with a round of parchment paper and cover with a lid. Cook in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until very tender.
- Add beans and bake, uncovered, until thick about 20 to 30 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve in individual bowls and let guests add their own toppings.
Healthy Hint: Beef is a good source of phosphorous and vitamin B6, potassium and vitamin D.
Bonnie says: Chili is a perfect dish for the January chills. Leftovers are great in tacos or burritos. Instead of cubes of stewing meat, you can use ground beef—just add it after cooking the onions and garlic and before adding the spices. Cook about one hour before adding beans. Chipotle chilis add a sensational smoky flavour, but if you do not have them simply add your favourite hot sauce to taste.
Fran says: Kidney beans are low in fat, a great source of vegetable protein, loaded with vitamins and minerals, including calcium, folate, potassium and iron. Their soluble fibre helps lower cholesterol levels and their low glycemic index is helpful for blood sugar management.
Photo by Benoît Levac; Food Stylist: Marie-Éve Charron; Prop Stylist: Irène Garavelli.