Beef & Pepper Skillet
“I love Mexican-inspired food. I also enjoy experimenting with recipes like this one and making them as healthy—and downright good!—for my family as possible.” —Jenny Dubinsky, Inwood, West Virginia
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 lb lean ground beef 90% lean
- 1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies 14-1/2 oz, undrained
- 1 can beef broth 14-1/2 oz
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 medium sweet red pepper sliced
- 1 medium green pepper sliced
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink,6-8 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Add tomatoes, broth, chili powder, salt and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Stir in rice and peppers. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese is melted. Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool beef mixture. Freeze beef mixture and cheese separately in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little broth if necessary. Sprinkle with cheese.
1-1/3 cups: 340 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fibre), 23g protein.