“Bring spring flavours together in these delectable miniature tarts. Raspberries and blueberries both work well with the whipped cream and lemon curd mixture or choose your favorite berries instead. These sweet treats are great for a ladies tea, brunch or spring holiday celebration.” —Mary J. Walters, Westerville, Ohio
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|1dozen||25minutes||25minutes + cooling|
|25minutes + cooling|
- pastry for double-crust pie 9 inches
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 package frozen unsweetened mixed berries thawed, 12 ounces
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- fresh berries optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a 4-in. round cookie cutter, cut 12 circles, rerolling scraps as necessary. Press circles onto bottoms and up sides of ungreased muffin cups.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch; toss with berries and lemon juice. Spoon 2 tablespoons filling into each cup. Bake on a lower oven rack until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 24-26 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
- For topping, beat cream until soft peaks form. In another bowl, mix lemon curd, sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon whipped cream; fold in remaining whipped cream. Spoon over filling. If desired, top with fresh berries. Refrigerate until serving.
PASTRY FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE (9 INCHES):Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
1 tartlet: 241 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fibre), 2g protein.