Black Bean Chicken with Rice
“This spicy family favourite calls for just a few basic ingredients, so it’s quick and easy to stir up in your skillet on a weeknight.” —Molly Newman, Portland, Oregon
Taste of Home
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves 4 ounces each
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can black beans 15 ounces, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups Hot cooked brown rice
- minced fresh cilantro optional
- In a small bowl, mix seasonings; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides.
- Add beans, corn and salsa to skillet; cook, covered, 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Serve with rice and if desired, cilantro.
1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup bean mixture and 1/2 cup cooked rice: 400 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fibre), 32g protein.