“My grandmother made luscious fruit pies and cobblers using blackberries from her garden. I decided to follow her lead and create a blackberry cake that’s always lovely with a summer meal.” —Lisa M. Varner, El Paso, Texas
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|10servings||20minutes||40minutes + cooling|
|40minutes + cooling|
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour divided
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- confectioner's sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9-in. springform pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg and orange zest. In another bowl, whisk 1-1/2 cups flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Transfer to prepared pan.
- In a bowl, toss blackberries with remaining flour; arrange over batter. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake portion comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Cool on a wire rack; serve warm or at room temperature. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
1 slice: 274 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fibre), 4g protein.