Blueberry and Cranberry Crunch
Start your day with this healthy mixture of fruit, nuts and seeds, served with low-fat milk or yogurt. In summer, leave out the dried fruit and serve the muesli with some fresh berries instead.
Photo: Reader’s Digest Brain Power Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 cups five-grain porridge mix
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 50 g dried blueberries
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (350°F). Line two large baking trays with baking (parchment) paper.
- Combine the porridge mix, coconut, seeds, nuts and spices in a large bowl.
- Heat the oil and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes, until warmed through. Pour into the porridge mixture and stir until well combined. Spread the mixture over the prepared trays.
- Bake the mixture for 20 minutes, stirring several times to ensure it browns evenly. Set aside to cool on the trays.
- Pour the cooled mixture into a bowl and stir in the dried fruit and chia seeds. Store in an airtight container.
Each serving provides 1330 kJ, 318 kcal, 6 g protein, 21 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 g carbohydrate (9 g sugars), 7 g fibre and 6 mg sodium.