“This kolache recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law, who received it from her mother! It was a standard treat in their family, made nearly every week. Now I make these kolaches for my own family for special occasions.” —Maxine Hron, Quincy, Illinois
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|28rolls||30minutes + rising||10minutes|
|28rolls||30minutes + rising|
- 2 packages active dry yeast 1/4 ounce each
- 1/2 cup sugar divided
- 2 cups warm 2% milk 110° to 115°
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg yolks room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups canned prune, poppy seed, cherry or lemon pie filling
- 1 large egg white beaten
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm milk; let stand 10 minutes. In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, remaining sugar, egg yolks, salt, butter and yeast/milk mixture. Mix until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Add additional flour, if necessary. Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and allow to rise again. Roll out on floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with large glass or 2-1/2-in. cutter. Place on greased baking sheets; let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Firmly press indentation in center and fill each roll with a heaping tablespoon of filling. Brush dough with egg white. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until rolls are light golden brown.
1 kolache: 164 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fibre), 4g protein.