Bow Tie & Spinach Salad
“With pasta salad, it’s easy to change up ingredients. We like to add grilled chicken and pine nuts, and sometimes we substitute black beans for the garbanzo beans.” —Julie Kirkpatrick, Billings, Montana
- 2 cups uncooked multigrain bow tie pasta
- 1 can garbanzo beans or chickpeas rinsed and drained, 15 ounces
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach about 6 ounces
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives halved
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sun-dried tomato salad dressing
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts toasted
To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
2 cups: 318 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fibre), 13g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.