Brown Rice Cuban Burgers
A wholesome, meatless option for a weeknight meal or backyard entertaining, these convenient, healthy burgers are richly flavourful. Made with ingredients from all food groups, health-conscious vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike will be wowed by this crowd-pleasing option.
Number of servings : 6
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet : | Gluten free
2 cups gluten-free vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup U.S. long grain brown rice
1/4 cup safflower oil (or a light flavoured cooking oil), divided
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
1/2 cup finely diced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp each, ground cumin and coriander
1/2 tsp each, coarse salt and red pepper flakes (less if desired)
1/2 cup gluten-free seasoned breadcrumbs
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed well
2 oz Queso or crumbled feta
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. In saucepan, bring broth and rice to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all liquid has been absorbed, about 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
2. In skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil over medium-high heat. Cook red onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in red pepper and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and red pepper flakes and cook one minute.
3. Scrape onion mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Add breadcrumbs, cooked brown rice, black beans, queso or feta and egg and pulse until combined.
4. Using wet hands (will help mixture from sticking), form into ½ cup (125 mL) patties.
5. Cook in batches in a large, non-stick skillet over medium low heat, using 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil at a time until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes per side.
6. Serve on gluten-free buns with dill pickle slices and a yogurt cilantro sauce (and some extra Queso if you’re feeling decadent).
Tip: Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) of chopped fresh cilantro to the burger mixture for added flair. Use regular breadcrumbs instead of gluten-free breadcrumbs if you prefer.