Budget-Friendly Veggie Chili
Photo: Nancy Bordeleau, Cinq Fourchettes
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeño pepper finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Tabasco® Chipotle sauce
- 1-1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup red beans
- 1 cup black beans
- black pepper
- Heat up the oil in a large stock pot.
- Sauté the onion and the jalapeno pepper for 3-4 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add spices and herbs and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, with constant stirring.
- Add Tabasco® Chipotle sauce, vegetable broth and diced tomatoes. Add brown sugar and cocoa powder and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add beans, season to taste.
- Simmer for at least 15 minutes or until you get the desired texture (depending on how thick you like it).
- Add toppings to taste: shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, chopped green onion, guacamole.
You can use the leftover chili to make chili macaroni or chili shepherd's pie.