Cajun Corn Soup
“I found this recipe years ago and substituted Cajun stewed tomatoes for a bolder taste. Now I prepare this dish for out-of-state guests who want to taste some Cajun food. Everyone who tries it gives it high marks. Plus, it’s easy to prepare.” —Sue Fontenot, Kinder, Louisiana
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 2 packages frozen corn 16 ounces each
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked sausage cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can stewed tomatoes 14-1/2 ounces
- 2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste 6 ounces
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- salt to taste
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper and green onions in oil for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly. Gradually add water; bring to a boil. Add the corn, sausage, ham, tomatoes, tomato paste, cayenne, salt and pepper sauce.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
1 cup: 396 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 1011mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fibre), 18g protein.