Caramel Walnut Spiders for Halloween
Serve up these deliciously creepy, gooey ‘spiders.’ They’re so delicious little ghouls and boys, even adults, will go nuts over them.
- 5 black licorice laces
- 12 soft caramels
- 12 walnut halves
- 150 g dark chocolate melted
- 3 tbsp black sprinkles
- Using a knife or scissors, cut liquorice into 1‐inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- You will need 8 per spider for a total of 96 pieces. For a more realistic look, cut pieces diagonally to form a pointed end.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, place 6 caramels evenly spaced apart with one walnut half on top of each caramel. Bake in oven for 3 minutes to slightly melt caramel. Working quickly, push 8 liquorice legs into sides of one caramel to form the legs of the spider. Repeat steps with remaining caramels and walnuts. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate in the microwave on high for three 30 second increments, stirring in between or on a double boiler, then spoon or pipe about 1 tsp (5 mL) of chocolate over the walnuts. Sprinkle chocolate with black sprinkles and let set.
These can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container for up to a week.