Cheese and Pepper Soufflés
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres
Special diet :
4 green or red peppers
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of 2% milk
1 egg yolk
a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
115 g reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, grated
4 green onions, finely chopped
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut the tops off the peppers and reserve. Remove the core and seeds from inside the peppers. Cut a thin slice from the base of each pepper so it will stand upright.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the peppers and their tops, cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until barely tender. Drain and place upright in a baking dish.
- Melt the butter in another saucepan. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk. Return to the heat and simmer until thickened.
- Cool slightly, then stir in the egg yolk, pepper and cheese. Mix in the green onions.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then carefully fold into the cheese sauce.
- Divide the filling among the peppers and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the filling is puffed and golden. Put the tops on the peppers and serve.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:257