Cheesy Chicken Parmigiana
“My husband used to order chicken parmigiana at restaurants for years. I found this cheesy chicken parmesan recipe in our local newspaper, adjusted it for two and began making this at home. After 50 years of marriage, I still enjoy making his favourite recipes.” —Lola Butler, Sun City, California
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 can tomato sauce 15 ounces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves 4each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until a thermometer reads 165°, about 5 minutes on each side. Top with mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted, 3-4 minutes longer. Serve with tomato sauce. If desired, sprinkle with basil and additional parmesan.
1 chicken breast half: 444 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 166mg cholesterol, 1496mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fibre), 29g protein.