Chicken Potpie Soup
“My grandmother hand-wrote a cookbook; she created this amazing pie crust, and I added the delicious soup for it.” —Karen LeMay, Seabrook, Texas
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|6servings||20minutes + chilling||20minutes|
|6servings||20minutes + chilling|
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tbsp 2% milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cans chicken broth (14-1/2 oz each)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a floured 2-1/2-in. heart-shaped or round cutter, cut 18 shapes. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 8-11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For soup, heat butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, onion, celery and carrots; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients; heat through. Serve with pastries.
1-1/2 cups soup with 3 pastries: 614 calories, 30g fat (9g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1706mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fibre), 23g protein.