Chickpea Tortilla Soup
“This vegan tortilla soup recipe is healthy, filling and family-friendly! We love how hearty and flavourful it is. We like to play around with the different toppings we add each time it’s served.” —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8 servings (3 quarts)||30minutes||15minutes|
|8 servings (3 quarts)||30minutes|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 Jalapeño peppers seeded and chopped, optional
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red quinoa rinsed
- 2 cans (15 oz each) no-salt-added chickpeas or garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) no-salt-added black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- crushed tortilla chips optional
- cubed avocado optional
- lime wedges optional
- additional chopped cilantro optional
Portions: servings (3 quarts)
Test Kitchen tips
- You'll love how hearty and filling this is for a meatless soup.
- Don't skip the lime wedges—the little bit of acid really perks up the flavour of the soup.
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
1-1/2 cups: 289 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein.