Chocolate, Apple and Raisin Cake
Love fruits and chocolate? Then this recipe for an apple, raisin and chocolate cake should become a favourite.
Number of servings : 10
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours
Type of meal : | Cakes | Cakes
Special diet :
175 mL (¾ cup) softened butter
175 mL (¾ cup) light brown sugar
3 medium eggs, beaten
625 mL (2 ½ cups) whole-wheat flour
10 mL (2 tsp) baking powder
5 mL (1 tsp) ground mixed spices or cinnamon
45 mL (3 tbsp) cocoa powder, sifted
625 mL (2 ½ cups) peeled, cored and diced cooking apples
250 mL (1 cup) golden raisins
Approximately 90 mL (6 tbsp) milk
6 squares (175 g/6 oz) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325ûF (160ûC). Grease and line a deep 20 cm (8 inch) round cake pan. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, mixed spices and cocoa powder; then fold in the apples, golden raisins and enough milk to give a fairly soft dropping consistency. Fold in the chocolate.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake pan and level the surface. Bake for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours, until risen and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the pan for a few minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack. Remove the lining paper and leave to cool completely. Serve warm or cold with a little homemade custard, plain yogurt, crème fraîche or light sour cream.