Chocolate Cake with Sour Cream Frosting
Don't let this cake's secret ingredient — reduced calorie mayonnaise — throw you. The results are moist, fudgy, and totally decadent.
Number of servings : 16
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes + 15 minutes, cooling time
Type of meal : | Cakes | Cakes
Special diet :
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 large eggs
1-2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1-1/3 cups cold water
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans, and line the bottoms with waxed paper. Onto a piece of waxed paper, sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla for 3 minutes, or until fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and blend in the mayonnaise.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture, one-third at a time, alternating with the water and beginning and ending with the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto the rack, peel off the paper, and let stand 5 minutes more.
- While the cake cools, make the frosting. In a small saucepan, stir the chocolate chips over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Ice the cake between layers, on the sides, and on top with the chocolate frosting, then drizzle with the melted chocolate. Refrigerate leftovers.