Chocolate-Covered Cherry Thumbprints
“When I dig out my best cookie recipes, I’m reminded of baking with my children when they were little. These thumbprints with cherries elicit such sweet memories.” —Deborah Puette, Lilburn, Georgia
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|2dozen||30minutes + chilling||15minutes + cooling|
|2dozen||30minutes + chilling|
|15minutes + cooling|
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg separated, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped salted roasted almonds
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp maraschino cherry juice
- 2 tsp butter softened
- 1 tsp 2% milk
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 4 oz milk chocolate candy coating melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, brown sugar and salt until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, until easy to handle, 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Place almonds in a separate shallow bowl. Dip balls in egg white; roll in almonds.
- Place balls 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with your thumb. Bake until edges are light brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, cherry juice, butter and milk until smooth. Fill each cookie with 1/4 tsp. filling. Top with 1 cherry and drizzle with candy coating. Let stand until set.
1 cookie: 145 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fibre), 2g protein.