Chocolate-Dipped Rice Shortbread Cookies
Number of servings : 24 Medium Cookies Prep time: Cooking time: 15 Minutes Type of meal : | Cookies |
Number of servings : 24 Medium Cookies
Cooking time: 15 Minutes
Type of meal : | Cookies | Cookies
Special diet : | Gluten free
¾ cup (175 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla essence
1 1/3 cup (325 mL) gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
¼ cup (50 mL) rice flour
¾ tsp (4 mL) salt
For the Decoration:
12 oz (375g) bittersweet chocolate
4-5 sheets edible gold leaf (or edible glitter)
- In a stand mixer bowl, or in large bowl with electric beaters, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, sifted flours and salt, while mixing at a low speed. Roll dough into a ball; flatten into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180° C). Let the dough come to room temperature and knead on a generously floured work surface and roll out to ¼-inch (0.6 cm) thickness. Cut out cookies with a medium-sized heart-shaped cutter. Place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, then chill in fridge, 10 minutes.
- Bake 15 minutes, until cookie bottoms just start to turn pale gold. Transfer cookies on trays to rack; let cool 5 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and leave on trays on rack to partially cool, 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to rack and let cool completely.
For the Decoration:
- Over double boiler, melt bittersweet chocolate. Remove chocolate from heat, but work quickly, so that chocolate remains thin and liquid. Dip one flat face of each cookie into melted chocolate to coat; shake off excess gently.
- Place cookies chocolate side up onto wire racks over baking sheets. Allow to cool slightly, 5 minutes, then apply tiny gold leaf pieces, breaking them off the sheet with tweezers and allowing them to fall onto the chocolate surface from just above. (If using edible glitter, sprinkle where desired.)
(Photo: Tango Photographie)