Citrus Gingerbread Cookies
Orange and lemon zest give gingerbread cutouts a refreshing twist. Brushing a honey glaze over the top adds a subtle shine and an extra touch of sweetness.
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Gingerbread Cookies
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cubed
- 1 large egg
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp lemon zest grated
- 2 tsp orange zest grated
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tbsp water
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, honey and molasses. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Let stand 20 minutes. Stir in butter; let stand 20 minutes longer.
- Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, almonds, baking powder, lemon zest, orange zest and spices; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into three portions. Roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; brush over cookies. Let stand until set.
- To make ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and decorate as directed.
1 cookie: 66 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 13mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.
Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published on Taste of Home.