Classic Sweet Potato Pie
“This simple but special deep-dish pie provides a down-home finish to hearty autumn meals. Pecans and pumpkin pie spices make this a comforting seasonal classic.” —Paul Azzone, Shoreham, New York
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||25minutes||45minutes + cooling|
|45minutes + cooling|
- 1-2/3 cups pie crust mix
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3 to 4 tbsp cold water
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 cans sweet potatoes drained, 15 ounces each
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
- 1-1/2 to 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- whipped cream optional
- Additional chopped pecans optional
- In a small bowl, combine pie crust mix and pecans. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate or cast-iron skillet. Transfer crust to pie plate. Flute edges; set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the eggs, sweet potatoes, milk, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt; blend until smooth. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted pecans if desired.
1 piece: 417 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 3g fibre), 9g protein.