Country-Style Squab Stew
Considered a delicacy in some parts of the world, squab is a mild and has a silky texture to it. Adding it to chicken stock, winter squash and various spices will make for a delicious, hearty stew for your family.
Number of servings : 6
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
2 cloves garlic, crushed
60 ml (4 tbsp) virgin olive oil
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
3 squabs, quartered
250 ml (1 cup) dry white wine
750 ml (3 cups) winter squash, peeled, in large dice
450 g (1 lb) assorted mushrooms, quartered
500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
1 bouquet garni*
15 ml (1 tbsp) corn starch
30 ml (2 tbsp) water
- In a stew pot, sauté the garlic in the oil and butter.
- Add the squab pieces and brown on all sides.
- Deglaze with the wine.
- Add the mushrooms and squash. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and the bouquet garni, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the corn starch into the water and add to the sauce. Adjust the seasoning and serve.
*A sprig of thyme, a sprig of rosemary and a bay leaf, tied together with string.