Present this traditional holiday bread right in the pan in which it was made, surrounded by a double ring of ribbon.
|Prep Time||Cook Time|
|35minutes||1 hour+ 5 minute cooling time|
|1 hour+ 5 minute cooling time|
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 small unpeeled orange seeded and diced
- 1-1/2 cups cranberries chopped coarsely
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch x 5-inch x 3-inch loaf pan or 8-inch tube pan. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.
- In a food processor or blender, process orange pieces until almost smooth. Pour into a glass measuring cup and add boiling water to make 1 cup. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix with cranberries, sugar, and egg.
- Add fruit mixture to flour mixture all at once and stir just until blended. Fold in walnuts and spoon into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour. Cool bread in the pan on a rack 5 minutes before removing.