Date Swirl Cookies
“My granddaughter nicknamed my mother Cookie Grandma because she made wonderful cookies—including these crisp and chewy treats.” —Donna Grace, Clancy, Montana
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|48cookies||30minutes + chilling||10minutes/batch|
|48cookies||30minutes + chilling|
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- In a saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes stiff, 15-20 minutes. Chill.
- For dough, cream butter and sugars in a bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add extract. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to a 12x9-in. rectangle, about 1/4 in. thick. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up, starting with the long end. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Wrap in plastic; chill overnight.
- Cut rolls into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
1 cookie: 160 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.