Duck with Apples and Turnips
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
2 breast halves, 400 g (14 oz) each duck, patted dry
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 red Delicious apples, sliced
45 ml (3 tbsp) butter
50 ml (1/4 cup) cider vinegar
1 can, 355 ml frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed, undiluted
1 kg (2 lb) white turnips, peeled, quartered and blanched
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- Season the duck with salt and pepper.
- In a non-stick skillet, brown the duck for 3 minutes on each side.
- Place skin-side up in a baking dish and continue cooking in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes (for medium-rare)
- While the duck is in the oven, remove the excess fat from the skillet and sauté the apples in the butter until well caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, add the apple juice concentrate and reduce until syrupy. Add the turnips to reheat them.
- Remove the duck from the oven, cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing into strips.
- Serve with the apples, turnips and sauce.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2548