Easy Spanakopita Appetizers
“I love having appetizers on hand in the freezer, especially when the holiday season is fast approaching. This easy spanakopita recipe is one of my all-time favourites. Everyone loves them, they’re easy to prep and they bake up in about 20 minutes.” —Shannon Dobos, Calgary, Alberta
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 packages frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry, 10 ounces each
- 1 package cream cheese softened, 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh dill
- 3/4 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 15 sheets phyllo dough 14x9-inch size
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Tzatziki sauce Optional
- lemon wedges Optional
- fresh dill sprigs Optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix the first 9 ingredients. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Layer with 2 additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Arrange 3/4 cup spinach mixture in a narrow row along the long end of phyllo to within 1 in. of edges. Fold bottom edge of phyllo over filling, then roll up. Brush end of phyllo dough with butter and press to seal. Repeat 4 times with phyllo sheets, butter and the spinach mixture. Place rolls on a parchment-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan, seam side down.
- Cut rolls diagonally into 2-in. pieces (do not separate). Brush tops with remaining butter. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. If desired, serve with tzatziki sauce, lemon wedges and dill sprigs.
- Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked rolls on a parchment-lined baking sheet until firm. Transfer to a freezer container; return to freezer. To use, bake rolls on a parchment-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan in a preheated 375° oven until heated through and golden brown, about 25 minutes.
1 piece: 96 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fibre), 2g protein.