Easy Stuffed Poblanos
“My partner adores these saucy stuffed peppers—and I love how quickly they come together. Top with low-fat sour cream and your favourite salsa.” —Jean Erhardt, Portland, Oregon
Taste of Home
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links casings removed
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef 90% lean
- 1 package ready-to-serve Spanish rice (8.8 ounces)
- 4 large poblano peppers
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- minced fresh cilantro optional
- Preheat broiler. In a large skillet, cook turkey and beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Add rice to meat mixture.
- Cut peppers lengthwise in half; remove seeds. Place on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan, cut side down. Broil 4 in. from heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, turn peppers.
- Fill with turkey mixture; top with enchilada sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes longer. If desired, top with cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
- Prepared Spanish rice adds so much flavour with so little effort! If you have leftover Spanish rice, use about 2 cups cooked rice for the filling.
- Bell peppers would also work in this recipe.
2 stuffed pepper halves: 312 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1039mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fibre), 22g protein.