Easy Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs
“The already prepared meatballs make this a very easy and quick supper. You can use your own homemade meatballs or store-bought if you’re in a pinch.” —Ruth Andrewson, Leavenworth, Washington
Taste of Home
- 1 can unsweetened pineapple chunks 20 ounces
- 1 package frozen fully cooked homestyle or Swedish meatballs 12 ounces, thawed
- 1 large green pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- hot cooked rice optional
- thinly sliced green onions optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. Add enough water to juice if needed to measure 1 cup. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the meatballs, green pepper and juice mixture until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, cold water, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Add brown sugar and reserved pineapple to the pan; stir in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. If desired, serve with rice and top with green onions.
1 serving: 330 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 572mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fibre), 9g protein.