“We really like eggplant and would rather have it baked than fried. This can be served as a side dish or main dish.” —Donna Wardlow-Keating, Omaha, Nebraska
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 small eggplant peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium tomato thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- additional basil optional
- Combine oil and garlic; brush over both sides of eggplant slices. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes; turn. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place half of the eggplant in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the basil and Parmesan cheese. Arrange tomato slices over top; sprinkle with remaining basil and Parmesan. Layer with half of the mozzarella cheese and the remaining eggplant; top with remaining mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes longer. Garnish with additional basil, if desired.
1 serving: 275 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fibre), 9g protein.