Eggs, Greens and Cheese Tortilla
This quick and easy egg and tortilla rollup is equally tasty warm out of the pan or sliced up and packed in a lunchbox. Don’t hesitate to play around with the filling based on what you have in the fridge. More often than not, I grate up odds and ends from my cheese drawer and throw in a handful of greens that are a bit too wilted to eat raw but are perfectly good to eat warmed.
- 2 tsp butter
- 4 eggs lightly beaten with a pinch of salt
- 2 flour tortillas large size (8- to 10-inch)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- ½ cup shredded gruyère or any other hard cheese that melts nicely
- Make the tortillas one at a time. In a medium nonstick pan over medium heat, melt half of the butter. Add half of the beaten eggs and immediately top with a tortilla, pressing it down gently so that some of the egg flows up and over the top side of the tortilla.
- Cook for 1 minute and then top with half of the spinach and cheese. Cover the pan and cook for 2 more minutes, until the greens have wilted and the cheese has melted.
- Next, either fold the eggy tortilla up in the pan, the way you would an omelet, and pack for lunch as is, or slide it out onto the cutting board and allow it to cool for a few minutes. Repeat the process for the second tortilla. Once cool, roll up the tortillas, and slice into pieces as needed to fit in your lunchbox.
This quick and easy recipe is best made the day of, but luckily it can be quickly thrown together between sips of coffee and bites of breakfast.
Packing tip: Pack the tortilla with your favorite condiment—like salsa, hot sauce, or ketchup—and add a side of roasted potatoes and some sweet berries to create that authentic brunch-for-lunch feeling.
Great for kids: Slice the rolled tortilla into rounds and secure with some fun food picks to make this wholesome lunch a kid-friendly finger food.