Farm Apple Pan Pie
“You’ll find this pie’s very convenient for taking to a covered-dish supper, picnic or any event where crowds gather. But be prepared—people always ask for the recipe!” —Dolores Skrout, Summerhill, Pennsylvania
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Egg yolk pastry:
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2 large egg yolks lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 5 pounds tart apples peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- whole milk
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine yolks and cold water. Sprinkle over dry ingredients; toss with fork. If needed, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture can be formed into a ball.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to fit a 15x10 x1-in. baking pan.
- Sprinkle apples with lemon juice; arrange half of them over dough. Combine the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; sprinkle half over apples. Top with remaining apples; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
- Roll remaining dough to fit pan; place on top of filling and seal edges. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cut vents in top crust. Bake at 400° until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 50 minutes.
1 piece: 317 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fibre), 3g protein.