“During chilly months, I fix this slow cooker jambalaya recipe at least once a month. It’s so easy…just chop the vegetables, dump everything in the slow cooker and forget it! Even my sons, who are picky about spicy things, like this easy jambalaya.” —Cindi Coss, Coppell, Texas
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained, 14-1/2 ounces
- 1 can beef or chicken broth 14-1/2 ounces
- 1 can tomato paste 6 ounces
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 2 medium green peppers chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb smoked sausage halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 lb uncooked medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- hot cooked rice
Test Kitchen Tips
- Oregano comes in two types. The sweet Mediterranean one is often simply labeled oregano. It belongs to the mint family. Mexican oregano, a member of the verbena family, has a more intense flavour and citrusy notes.
- To make a fresh garlic clove easy to peel, gently crush it with the flat side of a large knife blade to loosen the peel. If you don’t have a large knife, you can crush the garlic with a small can. The peel will come right off.
1 cup: 230 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fibre), 20g protein.