French Dip Sandwich with Onions
“When I want to impress company, these satisfying sandwiches are my first pick for the menu. I serve them with the cooking juices in individual bowls for easy use.” —Florence Robinson, Lenox, Iowa
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|14servings||30minutes||7hours + standing|
|7hours + standing|
- 2 large onions cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast 3 to 4 pounds
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 tsp browning sauce optional
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 14 French rolls split
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place over onions.
- In a large bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, soup mix, browning sauce if desired and garlic; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 7-9 hours.
- Remove roast with a slotted spoon and let stand for 15 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place on roll bottoms; sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Replace tops. Skim fat from cooking juices; strain and serve as a dipping sauce if desired.
1 sandwich: 399 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1099mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fibre), 30g protein