“My kids love to help me make this delicious bread recipe. It’s quite easy, and they enjoy the fact that they can be eating fresh bread in less than two hours!” — Denise Boutin, Grand Isle, Vermont
Photo: Taste of Home
| Servings|| Prep Time|| Cook Time|
| 2loaves (12 slices each)|| 30minutes|| 15minutes|
| Servings|| Prep Time|
| 2loaves (12 slices each)|| 30minutes|
Portions: loaves (12 slices each)
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add salt, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into 12-in.-long loaves.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Sprinkle loaves with cornmeal. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
1 slice: 97 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.