French Onion Soup with Meatballs
“I got the idea for how to make this soup after I went to a brewhouse restaurant that put ale in their gravy. I make this every time the weather starts to cool down in the fall—it’s comfort food for the soul.” —Crystal Holsinger, Surprise, Arizona
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 12 oz frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 2 large sweet onions sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 5 cups beef broth
- 12 oz pale ale
- 18 slices French bread baguette 1/4-inch thick
- 12 slices Muenster or cheddar cheese
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 9 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until onions are tender, 8-10 hours.
- Ladle soup into 6 broiler-safe 16-oz. ramekins. Top each with 3 slices of bread and 2 slices of cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
1-1/2 cups: 403 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1760mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fibre), 22g protein.