This delicious and easy recipe makes a great addition to any summer dinner party!
- 4 cups peanut oil
- 1 lb calamari cleaned
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- salt to taste
- lemon wedges for garnish
- In a deep pot, heat oil to 180°C / 350°F.
- Rinse the body and tentacles of the squid carefully and pat dry. Cut the body into 1-cm (1/2-in.) rings.
- Place the squid pieces in a bowl, cover with milk. Cold water may be used instead of milk. The squid will not be as white, but the will taste just as good. Fried calamari are also delicious with a slightly spicy tomato sauce. For best results, flour the pieces as you go, just before frying. Squid may be kept in milk for 2 or 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Drain the squid, coat with flour and place floured pieces a few at a time in a sieve. Shake to remove excess. Season with salt.
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Fry the squid pieces in the oil until golden.
- Coat well with bread crumbs and shake to remove excess. Season with salt.
- Arrange on a plate and garnish with lemon wedges.