Fried Sweet Potato Pies
“With my dad being a farmer who grew them, sweet potatoes have graced our table for as long as I can recall. This recipe, however, resulted from an experiment at a church bake sale when we had excess pastry. People couldn’t get enough!” —Marilyn Moseley, Toccoa, Georgia
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp 2% milk
- 1-1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- confectioner's sugar optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine eggs and milk; add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Cover and chill several hours.
- In a large bowl, combine the seven filling ingredients; stir until smooth. Divide the dough into 25 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle. Spoon 1-1/2 tablespoons of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- In a cast-iron or an electric skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 375°. Fry pies, in batches, until golden brown, 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator.
1 pie: 287 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.