Garlic and Cheddar Biscuits
Enjoy a taste of the South this fall with these biscuits and their hearty flavours of cheddar and garlic.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup buttermilk low-fat, divided
- 5 tbsp butter cut in fourths
- 3 oz cheddar shredded
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp dried parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add the first seven ingredients to blender and pulse 3-4 times to sift dry ingredients. Add butter and pulse 8-10 times until butter resembles a coarse meal. Add ½ cup buttermilk and pulse 6-8 times. Add other ½ cup buttermilk and cheese and pulse 6-8 times until dry ingredients are just incorporated. Use spatula to scrape sides of blender, then dump biscuit dough onto floured surface.
- With floured hands, pat down dough to approximately 1-inch thick. Use floured biscuit cutter or cookie cutter to cut dough into rounds. Continue patting dough scraps together and cut out remaining biscuits.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes.