General Tso’s Stew
“I love Asian food and wanted a chili-like soup with the distinctive flavours of General Tso’s chicken. The slow cooker makes this super easy, and you can use any meat you like. It’s a great with turkey, ground meats or leftover pork.” —Lori McLain, Denton, Texas
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup pickled cherry peppers chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb shredded cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1 tsp sesame seeds toasted
- In a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker, combine the first 6 ingredients. Stir in chicken, onion and broccoli. Cook, covered, on low about 2 hours, until vegetables are tender. Top with green onions and sesame seeds to serve.
1 cup: 222 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fibre), 25g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.