Ginger Beef and Mushroom Stir-Fry
A variety of texture and colour is a feature of most stir-fries due to tender-crisp vegetables. In this dish crunchy bok choy stems and peanuts add more contrast to the velvety mushrooms. For convenience slice, prepare and refrigerate ingredients the day before.
Number of servings : 4
Prep time: Preparation Time: 30 min. Marinating Time: 20 min.
Cooking time: Cooking Time: 10 min.
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
¼ cup light soy sauce (50 mL)
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (25 mL)
1 tbsp white sugar (15 mL)
2 tsp sesame oil (10 mL)
4 tsp corn starch (20 mL)
8 oz well trimmed beef steak (250 g) (sirloin tip or top sirloin)
1 cup whole grain brown rice (250 mL)
5- 6 baby bok choy (about 375 g)
1 tbsp vegetable oil (15 mL)
¼ cup julienned gingerroot (50 mL)
3 large cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional) (1 mL)
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
2 (227 g) pkg pre-sliced fresh
white or crimini Mushrooms
½ cup chicken broth or water (125 mL)
½ cup frozen corn niblets (optional) (125 mL)
½ cup blanched, halved, unsalted peanuts (125 mL)
½ cup chopped cilantro leaves (125 mL)
- In a small measuring cup mix soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch until smooth. Pour half into a medium bowl for marinade and reserve the other half until later.
- Slice the beef across the grain into very thin narrow slices; stir beef into marinade mixture and marinate at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook rice according to package directions.
- Separate stalks of bok choy and remove leaves set both aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet or wok heat 2 tsp (10 mL) oil until hot over medium- high heat; add ginger, garlic and pepper flakes and stir-fry 30 seconds or until fragrant but not browned.
- Remove beef from marinade with slotted spoon: add to hot skillet and stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer all to a bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil to the skillet. Add bok choy stalks, carrots, onions and mushrooms; stir-fry 3-5 minutes; add broth and corn; cover and steam 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in bok choy leaves and push vegetables to the side of skillet; pour reserved starch mixture and left over marinade into middle of skillet; bring to boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
- Return the meat mixture with any accumulated juices and peanuts; toss just until hot.
- Serve over hot rice and garnish with cilantro or green onions.
Makes 4 main course servings
Tip: Partially freeze meat to enable cutting it very thin.
• Substitute chicken for beef if desired.
• Substitute broccoli for bok choy.
• Substitute small shiitake caps for half of the sliced mushrooms.
• Substitute raw cashews for peanuts.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.